Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Portuguese Silence



Because I'm trying to finish a novel, and several reviews, and am also planning a fall trip to Portugal, I don't have much to say on this blog right now, and I don't have time to say it.

Silence has long been a key idea in Portugese literature and culture, and is one of the most commonly used concepts and images in Portugese poetry. Given the current silence on this blog, I thought I'd offer the above photo, not my own, as a case in point on the political and cultural complexities of silence.

I'm going to try to put up some short reviews here when I can find the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I'm sorry I've been a bit AWOL of late. I always look forward to you 'Thinking Again' -- that, or just getting a load of potatoes or something. Anyhow, I think you want the extra "u" in Portuguese -- not that I know anything about it. I once corrected you on "non sequitur" and that still cracks me up. In any event, hoping to make it out there in August, still -- that's my goal, anyhow. BA