Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The End of America, Book 5 (continued)






The End of America, Book 5, begins here.

---------------------------

(The End of America, Book 5, continued)


What I value about America is the way human overpopulation in southern California is helping crows become the dominant bird species.

What I value about America is news about sex slaves.

What I value about America is B-film shockers from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

What I value about America is constant media coverage of the media.

What I value about America is Bomb Pops. Do they make those any more?

What I value about America is academic conference cash bars.

What I value about America is trivia game shows.

What I value about America is phrases like “Love It or Leave It.”

What I value about America is that while we may not have any more Mountain Men living in rustic shacks with their Indian Brides, we have plenty of guys in designer camouflage gear shooting prairie dogs with high-powered rifles.

What I value about America is tradition.

What I value about America is feuds and grudge matches.

I value, in America, professional wrestling and skateboarding and surfing and extreme sports and any and all instances of male bodies pitted against each other or the elements of nature, especially those that feature sponsors and endorsements. And I value instances of female bodies doing the same though they seem to get less sponsorship, which must mean that some people value them less but I’m not one of those people.

What I value about America is how much Americans are willing to pay to look at each other perform, especially in various degrees of undress.

What I value about America is fabric and upholstery freshener sprays.

What I value about America is the Conqueror Worm.

What I value about America is a couple on a balcony screaming at each other in the afternoon sun, their voices ragged with rage, the woman shouting repeatedly, “Get the fuck out of here.”

What I value about America is the certainty that what I value about America won’t be understood.

What I value about America is all sex all the time.

What I value about America is that some will call this poem elitist and some will call it too ironic and some will call it leftist and some will call it not leftist enough and some will say that what I value about America is based on the fact that I’m a white man and some will say that the poem is worthwhile and some will say that it’s not. And some will say that the poem fails to draw a clear distinction between moral and immoral action, or between useful or un-useful political action, and some will say its refusal to draw clear distinctions defines a necessary ground for moral or useful action that more cut and dried distinctions can never manage and some will say that it doesn’t.

And what I value about America is that neither me nor anybody else can say if writing this poem has any value, to anyone in America or anyone not in America but who might be interested in America, beyond whatever value it has to whoever might read it and do something with it and whatever value it had to me writing it.

What I value about America is that it’s two continents with many countries, not just one country, and if I don’t mention that, someone else will.

What I value about America is the sax solos of Lester Young and Charlie Parker and how Parker initially learned from Young but that, by 1946, when they played together at the Philharmonic, Parker was just beginning to be famous and Young, eleven years older, was battered by syphilis and alcoholism and his time in the U.S. military when he ended up in jail and was probably beaten, and how because of that in 1946 Parker could play more sharply than Young, who despite his growing frailty played an emotionally powerful if technically flawed solo before and after Parker’s two great choruses in “Lady Be Good,” and Parker’s fame increased because he had surpassed his own main idol and had become the most important original genius in jazz and yet only eight years later would be dead, actually dying before Young, who though already ill by the time Parker was rising to fame outlived him by four years.

What I value about America is CDs with endless alternate takes.

What I value about America is Internet cowards who leave hostile anonymous comments on other people’s blogs.

What I value about America is the firm conviction of many Americans that they, and they alone, are the last honest person in America.

What I value about America is people’s eagerness to take their clothes off.

What I value about America is summer. Especially summer weekends at the beach. And even more especially the nostalgia that gets attached to the idea of summer and how that nostalgia, when I was growing up, was put to work in television ads for lemonade.

What I value about America is making things into opposites that don’t have to be opposites.

What I value about America is everything people say about America and everything they don’t say. Which, you have to admit, gives me a lot to value.

What I value about America is the connection between mining strikes, the Carnegies, police and private security brutality, and the creation of the public relations industry.

What I value about America is the kind of life people have to live when they work at convenience stores and fast food restaurants.

What I value about America is its borders.

What I value about America is all the ways there are to make money—sometimes a lot, sometimes a little—off ideas about its borders.

And the way, in America, some people want people to come up from Mexico to work for them and some people don’t want people to come up from Mexico to work, and some people want the one while saying they want they other.

What I value about America is how it seems there’s a way to wring cash out of just about anything. Especially things that hurt other people.

What I value about America is con games and that it’s not clear how many of us are playing them.

What I value about America is that some people may think I’m writing this for the money.

What I value about America is career advancement.

What I value about America is that even people who don’t give a damn about freedom, justice or equality still have to say they do if they want to succeed in politics. But I also value the fact that having to talk about those concepts doesn’t mean you intend to do anything about them.

What I value about America is hypocrisy.

What I value about America is the way a mercenary organization like Blackwater can have a CEO who says he wants to get the company out of the security business as a cover for the organization’s future mercenary activities.

What I value about America is how difficult it is to know what goes on hidden behind the spin.

What I value about America are its many and constantly evolving types of stalkers: sexual stalkers, workplace stalkers, government stalkers, celebrity stalkers, Internet stalkers, even intellectual and poetry stalkers.

What I value about America is ordinary, hard-working Americans, the phrase “ordinary, hard-working Americans,” and the differences between the two.

What I value about America is that everybody in America is allowed to create any religion they want with any beliefs that they want and promote it as much as they can.

What I value about America is Hank in Alabama, Nate in Alaska, Barbara in Arizona, Katy and Matt in Arkansas, Dodie and Kevin in California, Noah in Colorado, Steven in Connecticut, a whole bunch of people in DC, Amanda in Delaware, Vernon in Florida, Laura in Georgia, Susan in Hawaii, Martin in Idaho, Lisa and Bill in Illinois, Joyelle and Johannes in Indiana, Cole in Iowa, Anne in Kansas, Dana in Kentucky, Bill in Louisiana, Carla and Ben in Maine, Tina in Maryland, Elisa in Massachusetts, Gina in Michigan, Elizabeth and Jeff in Minnesota, Tim in Mississippi, Jonathan in Missouri, Prageeta in Montana, Bill in Nebraska, Sherre in Nevada, no one I can think of at all in New Hampshire, Stephen in New Jersey, Joy and Bruce in New Mexico, Kristin in New York, Ken in North Carolina, no idea in North Dakota, Cathy in Ohio, Susan in Oklahoma, Allison and Jen in Oregon, Linh in Pennsylvania, Rosemarie in Rhode Island, David in South Carolina, no idea in South Dakota either, Amy in Tennessee, Hoa in Texas, Lance in Utah, Ruth in Vermont, Reb in Virginia, Nico in Washington, Tom in West Virginia, Roberto in Wisconsin, and Danielle in Wyoming

What I value about America is Marxists.

What I value about America is the gnawing emptiness I feel when trying to write about what I value about America, and I value that the way I’ve been managing to get the energy to write is to make myself annoyed and find people to be annoyed about or to fill myself with longing and find people to long for.

What I value about America is my lack of inner emotional resources.

What I value about America is how difficult it is to like and help other people, and how that difficulty for so many people can override their own better intentions.

What I value about America is how often I’ve been told the joke, “Stress is what results from not kicking the shit out of someone who heartily deserves it.”

What I value about America is bathroom homily plaques.

What I value about America is how it’s possible for people to be marginalized and privileged at the same time in different areas of their lives.

What I value about America is advice columns.

What I value about America is my need for love.

What I value about America is how talk about true love is often a cover for the fact that in order to be happy, people need a fulfilling web of human connections of which romantic love is really only one element.

What I value about America is happiness studies.

What I value about America is how friendship is not really an element of the American dream.

What I value about America is that hard work is considered more important than thoughtful or effective work.

What I value about America is that dividing life into work and leisure makes both unbearable.

What I value about America is working for the weekend.

What I value about America is how stunning it is to be so lonely even when other people know and love me.

What I value about America is all the ways to be inaccessible.

What I value about America is Detroit.

What I value about America is people who are sure they’re right.

What I value about America is all the really cool Canadian writers even though I know that Canada has a similar set of problems to any capitalist democracy as well as a few unique ones of its own.

What I value about America is Quebec: the city, the old town, the province, the small shore towns running up the St. Lawrence River, the wilderness and mountains and inland fjords and the small cold inland industrial towns like Chicoutimi, which I visited in summer when the day was sunny and humid and light sparkled off gas station walls.

What I value about America is Lac Ha Ha.

What I value about America is the way governmental oversight organizations, like the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Food and Drug Administration, or the Department of Health and Human Services, sometimes provide oversight and sometimes prevent it, requiring oversight of the oversight, which sometimes doesn’t work either.

What I value about America is sleeveless tees.

What I value about America is the exorbitant cost of women’s clothing.

What I value about America is that, after some years of the conservative training that became more common during the George Bush years, more and more young women in America say that having a baby is natural by which they mean that they shouldn’t use birth control, and so when they’re having sex they’re more likely to get pregnant casually, and sooner or later of course the man runs off, whether they were married or not makes no difference, and because of the idea that birth is a natural thing that happens to women, the women think it’s their obligation to raise the child or children on their own and they don’t even go to court trying to get paternity payments.

What I value about America is women who write well or play music well or paint well or work well in politics or community organizations and who are making decisions to do what they want with their lives, either with men or with other women or with whoever they want to be with, and I value the women who don’t know they have these options or who are prevented by their families or their upbringing from having these options or knowing they have them, and I value women who think they know what their options are when they don’t.

What I value about America is how many people think feminism should be over with when they don’t even know what it was or is.

What I value about America is when the fish people rise from alluvial mud.

What I value about America is what it must have been like to be the only Surrealist in Minnesota, and what it must be like, now, to be one of four or five of them.


(to be continued)

No comments: